US imposes sanctions on six North Koreans after latest missile tests – National

The Biden administration on Wednesday imposed its first sanctions on North Korea’s weapons programs following a string of North Korean missile launches, including twice since last week.

The sanctions targeted six North Koreans, one Russian and a Russian company that Washington said was responsible for buying goods for the program from Russia and China.

Read more:

Kim Jong Un calls for strengthening North Korea’s army after witnessing latest missile test

The US Treasury said the steps are aimed at preventing the progress of North Korea’s programs and impeding its attempts to deploy weapons technologies.

The United States has also proposed that five of these individuals also be blacklisted by the United Nations Security Council, which would need consensus agreement by the organization’s 15-member North Korea Sanctions Committee.

The story continues below the ad

The administration of US President Joe Biden has sought unsuccessfully to engage Pyongyang in dialogue to persuade it to give up its nuclear bombs and missiles since taking office in January last year.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said the United States remains committed to pursuing diplomacy with North Korea.

“What we have seen in recent days … only confirms our belief that if we are going to make progress, we will need to be involved in this dialogue,” he said at a regular news briefing.






0:43
South Korea says an unidentified person crossed the armed border into North Korea


South Korea said an unidentified person crossed the armed border into North Korea – Jan 2, 2022

The Treasury said the sanctions followed the launches of six North Korean ballistic missiles since September, each in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, Brian Nelson, said the moves were aimed at “North Korea’s continued use of its representatives abroad to illegally purchase goods for weapons.”

The story continues below the ad

In a statement, Nelson said North Korea’s recent launches were “further evidence that it continues to advance prohibited programs despite the international community’s calls for diplomacy and denuclearization.”

Read more:

North Korea launches second suspected ballistic missile test in less than a week

It said the State Department had designated Russia-based North Korean Choi Myung-hyun, Russian Roman Anatolyevich Alar, and Parsek LLC “for activities or transactions that materially contributed to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction or their means of delivery.”

She said Choi Myung-hyun, a representative of North Korea’s Second Academy of Natural Sciences (SANS) in Vladivostok, had worked to purchase communications-related equipment from Russia.

Four China-based North Korean representatives of SANS-affiliated organizations – Sim Kwang-suk, Kim Seung-hoon, Kang Chul-hak, and Byun Kwang-chul – and another North Korean based in Russia, Ho O Yong-ho, were also targeted.

The Treasury said Sim Kwang-suk, headquartered in Dalian, worked to purchase steel ingots, and Kim Sung-hun, who was based in Shenyang, software and chemicals.

In a statement, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said that between at least 2016 and 2021, O Yong Ho worked with Parsek LLC and Alar, the company’s director of development, to procure multiple items using ballistic missile applications, including Kevlar thread and aramid. fibres, aircraft oil, ball bearings and precision milling machines.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play video: 'White House condemns North Korean missile launch'



0:56
White House condemns North Korean missile launch


White House condemns North Korea’s missile launch – October 19, 2021

rocket fuel mixture

Blinken said Alar also provided O Yong Ho with instructions to create a mixture of solid rocket fuel.

“The procurement and supply relationship between U Yong Ho, Roman Anatolyevich Alar and Parsik is a major source of applicable missile goods and technologies for the DPRK’s missile program,” his statement said.

It also said O Yong Ho had worked to purchase items including aramid fibers, stainless steel tubes and ball bearings from “third countries” it did not name.

Read more:

South Korea says North Korea’s missile test was not hypersonic

The North Korean mission to the United Nations, the Russian and Chinese embassies in Washington, and the Russian company did not respond to requests for comment.

The story continues below the ad

North Korean media said leader Kim Jong Un witnessed the test of a hypersonic missile on Tuesday, the second in less than a week after vowing in his New Year address to bolster the military with the latest technology.

Tuesday’s test came hours after the US mission to the United Nations, joined by Albania, France, Ireland, Japan and the United Kingdom, condemned last week’s missile launch and called on UN countries to honor their sanctions obligations.


Click to play the video: 'North Korea tests new ballistic missiles amid ongoing nuclear standoff with US'



2:23
North Korea tests new ballistic missiles amid ongoing nuclear standoff with US


North Korea tests new ballistic missiles amid ongoing nuclear standoff with US – September 13, 2021

UN resolutions ban North Korea’s ballistic missiles and nuclear tests and impose sanctions.

Anthony Ruggiero, the former Trump administration’s sanctions expert who failed to persuade Kim to back down on his nuclear program despite the unprecedented engagement, called the new sanctions a “good start.”

However, he said, the Biden administration has allowed sanctions pressures to be reversed, and added, “Biden needs to continue appointments to increase pressure on the Kim regime.”

The story continues below the ad

Price did not respond when asked why no Chinese individuals or entities had been targeted, or specifically when asked whether China and Russia were doing enough to impose sanctions, but he stressed the importance of all UN countries doing so, adding: “Obviously we haven’t Do it I saw it all.”

Wednesday’s actions freeze any US-related assets of those targeted and ban all dealings with them.

(Reporting by David Bronstrom and Chris Gallagher) Additional reporting by Simon Lewis and Michelle Nichols. Editing by Jonathan Otis, Howard Guler and Grant McCall

Source link

Denial of responsibility! WebSalesPromotion.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email –
info@websalespromotion.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.
Andrew Naughtie

News reporter and author at @websalespromo

https://www.websalespromotion.com